Thursday, May 1, 2008

DO what you don`t want to DO!!

I am looking forward to doing a workshop on teaching young girls how to run. It will be given to about 30 woman who work closely with young girls, it will be an opportunity for these woman to impart my knowledge and hopefully inspire the girls to learn something new. First, I have to inspire the women, then, in turn, they will inspire the girls. Not an easy task.

These women are professional volonteers, who work directly with young girls, our future leaders. They embrace the great outdoors. This weekend, it will be pouring rain, and cold. I am going to drive out on Friday night, spend the night and give my workshop in the morning and return to my warm bed on Saturday night. Sunday, I get to run my last long training run before the marathon....32K. This I look forward to., the run that is.

The camping gig I do not. I had visions of driving up for the 10AM workshop and returning asap! Then, I came to my senses. Many of these women may not want to learn to run, any more than I want to go camping in the rain. It is all in the way one presents it. This is my challenge, and I am embracing it. My goal, is to get them so fired up, they won't know what hit them. First, I have to feel the pain of cold wet camping, make it work for me, and then, only then, can I inspire others to consider learning to run. It is indeed a reality check. Looking at life, like a beginner might give me a chance to be a good teacher.

No comments: