Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day and Running

Recently, in the Sudbury Newspaper, a story was published, honouring my mother's 88th year. It also honoured her as having the traits of a marathoner and how her traits, contributed to the marathon runner I have become. A mother's gifts have a far reaching effect., in a miraculous sort of way.

Eight years ago, I ran my very first 5K, on Mother's Day. One year later, Phil Marsh, Regional Manager of the Running Rooms of Ottawa coached me to the start line of a half marathon, or 21.1K race. He ran it for his mother & ME, as I spent it recuperating at home from surgery to remove an obstruction in my abdomen. A minor yet depressing setback. To be in such great shape, due to my training, would be the blessing. This would serve to quicken my recovery.

"It will take you 6 mths to get back to where you were," he said to me. At Thanksgiving,with my mother with us that weekend, I ran my first 21.1K
The medal around my neck came 5 mths, 3 weeks later.....

Never being one to suffer from headaches, I found myself in bed Friday night and all day and evening on Saturday. Even the liquid blue gel Advil had no effect.
Could it be, that I would not be able to run on Mother's Day, on this beautiful, Spring day? I would drag myself out, even put lipstick on, and see if I had 5K in me.
I would try to commemorate Mother's Day, of 8 years ago, when I learned to run, to keep up with my then 2 & 5 yr old. On this fine Sunday morning, much like that day 8 years ago, I ran my 5K, and added another 21, along with my fellow marathon runners. I am ready for May 25th, the mind does indeed lead the body.

No comments: