Tuesday, May 6, 2008

When Too Much is Simply Too MUCH

On Sunday, I had my worst marathon training run.

It was NOT because I went from the Kanata Running Room Store to the Bank St Running Room Store., a distance of 32K. It was NOT because I barely slept on Friday night, ate too much for dinner on Saturday night. It was NOT because I did not have my music to help me the last part of any long run. It was NOT because other parts of my life don't make sense to me right now. It was NOT because my self imposed physical training schedule is telling me to rest more, sleep more and eat better, and don't forget your vitamins.

It is synergistic. It is simply too much right now. Period. This happens, to all of us. Best that it happens now, and not in 3 weeks, on race day. Learn your lessons now. Recovery is happening, daily. Let those long distances be a part of my past, let them count by shelving them. Less is more. Heck, I even skipped boot camp on Monday morning. I felt like I had missed out on something, and then, I rolled over, greatful the liquid blue gel Advil did the trick. Next time I take it earlier than midnight.... It's Tuesday, I will run 6 K later, with the Marathon group., greatful for the lessons of not great runs. Greater ones are ahead. They always surface.

No comments: