Monday, May 19, 2008

Last of the LONG runs

I like the simplicity of running. When I first started to run, for the most part, I had but one speed. I did not race events, I ran them. On Sat., I was to run the pace I think I can sustain on Race Day. I chose a double loop near our home. It has an endearing name: my 8K Industrial Route, along Conroy,Walkley,Hawthorne Rd's, & ends on a quiet bike path.

My first 8K teaches me this is a 10K race pace. Not the right one for the marathon.
My second 8K teaches me that having my kids, pedaling along side me, is more fun. It slows me down a bit, more like the type of pace I need to start the race with. Kids are great at teaching you things.Often more capable than we give them credit for. They enjoy the challenge of the hill on Hawthorne, it empowers them. I watch proudly, as any mother would.

Yesterday, on Sunday, my 6K run is a walk in the park, at the Conroy Pit. Am I ready for this marathon? No question about it. Let the games begin!

No comments: